Making Maps and Tracks
Notes on how to make the maps and tracks shown here
Generate a GPX file (use suffix of XML, so it can be edited in Dreamweaver)
- This works for me
- Width 960 x 600
- If you have a list of waypoint markers, reduce the width of the map by the width of the waypoint list
- Full screen mode : no
- Title: add as appropriate
- Select initial map type to suite what you are doing (remember Open Street Map, as well as Google)
- Opacity Control: No
- Centre Box: No
- API Key - remember to provide this
- Add a legend/info box if required
- Mainly default, but note options for "Build a floating list of all tracks:"
- Select as requiredÂ Waypoint labels: andÂ Generate list of markers:
Upload your GPX/XML file
Draw the map
Right click on "or download from GPSVisualizer.com" and "save link as" to save an HTML file
Put in a well defined folder, and upload to the website
Link to the map using a link like this
- gv_showmap.php?mapfile=../maps/New_Zealand/New Zealand.html
- gv_showmap.php is a bit of code to wrap and display the map page.
- ../maps/New_Zealand/ is the "well defined" folder.
- New Zealand.html is the file saved from GPSVisualizer.