Categories
Local walks

Photos from walk on Thursday 6th April from Steventon to Ardington


Ginge Brook, Steventon, in full flow

 

A fallen giant

 

 

Remains of the root system

 

As they were five years ago (2018)

 

A417 skyline

 

Holy Trinity Church, Ardington. Graves of Lord Wantage and sons (more).

 

Explore the churchyard, before entering here. Robert Lindsey’s effigy with art nouveau weeping children is unusual for an external monument, but it seems to be holding up well. Other members of Lord Wantage’s family have interesting gravestones nearby, and there are some with bronze inlay. The churchyard cross is 14th century, although the topmost cross has been replaced.

 

You enter the church next to the tower with its stumpy spire. This latter is a Victorian addition to a mainly 13th century building. In the porch is some interesting 13th century stone carving: a king’s head between human-faced serpents under a canopy. Was it part of an early monument, or perhaps a font? It must have been extremely fine when complete.

 

The main doorway has Norman dogtoothing, whilst the south doorway, now glazed with engraved glass, has good ballflower decoration. Inside, the kneeling lady at the west end of the nave immediately draws one’s eye. She is a very elegant example of Greek revival sculpture, dedicated to Robert Vernon’s wife (1848) from Ardington House. On one side of her is the medieval font with tall figured modern cover. On the other, Edward Clarke’s large (and recently moved) pedimental wall monument (1630) with angels pulling back curtains to reveal the columned inscription.

 

 

The Stuart pulpit has a rather good Victorian sounding board and the walls are adorned with well carved medieval corbels, including a pelican and a man with toothache (?!).

(Source: David Nash Ford)

 

We were summoned inside to inspect some treasurer. This, I think, is a corbel with pigs rooting for truffles, maybe.

 

Memorial with kneeling female figure by E.H.Baily, who made the statue of Nelson on Nelson’s column

 

Bud of a Horse Chestnut tree, Aesculus hippocastanum with Ardington House in the background

 

Hard to tell what these are. A special planting in the area near Snells Hall, West Hendred, so it could be Acer macrophyllum, the bigleaf maple. More pictures in the gallery, and leave a comment if you think it’s something else.

 

High water at East Hendred Brook

 

The Causeway. First mentioned in documents in 1404, it is thought to date from the 13th Century or earlier, before the buildings were erected.

 

The trees that line the Causeway may have grown out of hedges planted at the time of the Enclosure, when elm ‘whips’ were widely available. Many trees, some about 100 years old, were lost from elm disease in the 1960s and 70s, but these have since been replaced with other species, and there are at present around 250 trees in fifteen species. This number has not changed significantly since 1875.

 

(read more)

 

 

We have done this route several times before. Photos from


3 replies on “Photos from walk on Thursday 6th April from Steventon to Ardington”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *